Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Navy Route?


I thought that today was another productive day, as I accomplished most all of what I had set out to do at the begining of the day. I did better on my Am-Htg quiz this morning than I usually do, and I finished all of the EcEn 301 homework that is due tomorow(All about Base 10, Hexadecimal, and Binary conversions).

As I was getting ready to go home after all those studies were done, I was passing one of the flyer boards that are always present with different opportunities presented for the students. Usually, I glance at them and move on, uninterested in anything that they have to say. But today as I was passing the board, one flyer in particular caught my eye. It was from the Navy advertizing that they needed civil, mechanical, electrical, and Nuclear engineers. Allong with my facination for things that hover, like hovercraft and helicopters, I have also oftentimes wondered about nuclear power. If accepted into the program, the navy would not pay my tuition for me, but would pay me a monthly paycheck while I am going to school. After talking to a recruiter, and a few other guys that are actually in the program, I realised that I currently don't qualify, as I am about 25 Lb. overweight. But if I loose the weight, I am in good stead with my technical qualifications. The application process takes about 4 months from the time I applied, which couldn't even happen till I lost the weight, and I could back out at any time untill the last and final interview that would give me my commission. Going into this program would free me up from my current work obligations enough that I could concentrate almost exclusively on school. Thus reducing stress, and hopefully increasing my GPA.

Long term, I would go to OCS, and other training programs for about two years after graduating with my Bachelorate degree, and then I would be assigned to a ship of some sort; probably either a boomer submarine, or an aircraft carrier. I would have to serve at least one 6 month tenure out at see with my ship, but much of the rest of the time will be spent in training on a land base where I can spend lots of time with my wife and daughter. It is also only a 4 year commitment after I graduate. And depending on how much I like it, I can choose to extend my service.

I have talked a little bit about it with my wife Kate, and at first, she seemed to like the idea, untill I told her about me having to be away for 6 months at a time. THAT, she didn't like at all. We are going to need to do a lot of thoughtfull contemplation, prayer, and temple visits before we make a final decission on the matter, but for now, I am getting enthused about it.

In other news, Lydia is getting cuter every day, as well as more rambunctious. The stairs are nothing to her now, and we can no longer have any certainty where in the house she is, untill we hear a CRASH, as something comes toppling off of something else just within her reach. What would I do without my two favorite girls?

No comments: